The Maw

Join the Ultimate Halo forum. Explore the inner depths of the Halo Megastructure, and realize your true potential as the savior of humanity

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Rioni of Rome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
meodingu
Kig 'Yar
Kig 'Yar

Male
Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Rioni of Rome   Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Rioni of Rome
Main article: Rioni of Rome
See also: 14 regions of Augustan Rome and 14 regions of Medieval Rome

Rome is also divided into differing types of non-administrative divisions. The historic centre is divided into 22 rioni, all of which are located within the Aurelian Walls except Prati and Borgo.

The Rioni have changed in number throughout history, from ancient Rome, the medieval period,[37] to the Renaissance. They were later organized in a more precise way by Pope Benedict XIV in 1743.

Even after Napoleon I lost his power in the city, there were no sensible changes in the organisation of the city, until Rome became the capital of the new born Italy. The needs of the new capital caused a great urbanisation and an increase of the population, both within the Aurelian walls and outside them. In 1874 the rioni became 15 adding Esquilino, obtained taking a part from Monti. At the beginning of the 20th century some rioni started being split up and the first parts outside the Aurelian walls started being considered part of the city.

In 1921 the number of the rioni increased to 22. Prati was the last rione to be established. and the only one outside the City Walls.

With the creation of the circoscrizioni (later renamed municipi) in 1972, all the rioni, except Borgo and Prati, have been placed in the first one, Municipio I, which so contains almost completely the Centro Storico.

laptop screen replacement
pubblicità online
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rioni of Rome
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1